Among the Japanese foods increasingly found on Western menus is chicken katsu. The term katsu simply means a cutlet, which is coated in panko breadcrumbs. Panko breading provides a crisper, airier texture than most Western types, as well as prevents oil or grease from being absorbed when fried. Typically, chicken katsu is served with rice and Japanese curry sauce or a fruity brown table sauce and salad. In this recipe, we give you the best of both worlds with our chicken katsu two-way dinner.
What you need
For the curry:
- 100 g of plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 x eggs
- 50 g of Yutaka Panko
- 4 x skinless chicken breasts
- Cooking oil (suitable for a deep-fat fryer)
- S&B Golden Curry
- Plain rice
For the salad:
- 1 x white cabbage
- 1 x cucumber
- 1 x large salad tomato
- Bull-Dog Vegetable and Fruit Tonkatsu Sauce
How to cook
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Servings: Up to 4 people
- In a large bowl, add 100 g of plain flour and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat two eggs thoroughly. In a third bowl, add 50 g of Yutaka Panko Japanese-style breadcrumbs.
- Next, coat eat skinless chicken breast, first in the breadcrumbs, then the egg and lastly the flour.
- Preheat the cooking oil to 180° in a deep-fat fryer. Then, fry the coated chicken breasts until golden brown. Remove the chicken and rest for 2 minutes. Increase the oil heat to 220° and fry the chicken for another 2 minutes. Remove the chicken again and place on a chopping board. Slice two of the breasts into medium-thick strips, place on a large plate around a mound of boiled or steamed rice, while setting the other two portions aside.
- Take a whole block of S&B Golden Curry and prepare as per instructions with water. When the sauce is ready, pour over the plated rice, making sure there is plenty for dipping the chicken strips.
- To prepare the salad, slice the white cabbage and cucumber as thinly as possible. Next, slice the tomato into wedges. Add everything to a large bowl and top with the remaining portions of chicken strips.
- Drizzle the salad with the Bull-Dog Vegetable and Fruit Tonkatsu Sauce, then enjoy along with the katsu curry.
Amazing food ideas all in one place
As a family business with more than 20 years of experience selling the finest and widest range of food and drink from the Far East, we understand the importance of cooking delicious recipes at home. That’s why we love sharing our favourite recipes, which you can easily make at home. Every ingredient you need is available from Sing Kee Foods. Check out our website today and get inspired.