Rice is one of the most important food crops in the world, which is consumed on a regular basis by more than half of the global population. It is full of vitamins and minerals, as well as being a rich source of complex carbohydrates.
Moreover, it is especially associated with the cuisine of Asia. Indeed, 90% of the world’s population that eats this important foodstuff is from the Asian continent. In this blog, we discuss its nutritional value as well as offer our recommended method for cooking it to perfection.
Nutrition and other qualities
One of the most important, nutritious and cheapest food crops in the world, every grain is made up of starch as well as bran, while providing 19% of the world’s human per capita energy together with 13% of per capita protein.
There are various types available with differing qualities in terms of grain length, stickiness, aroma, texture and flavour. Rice from Asia tends to fall into two main categories: indica (long-grain) and japonica (short-grain) varieties. Other types from the Asian continent include glutinous and aromatic types.
How to cook perfect rice
There is nothing complicated about cooking this foodstuff to perfection. The easiest way is to invest in an automatic rice cooker. There are various models of this kind of product which are available to suit all budgets and portion sizes. If you are still reliant on hob-based cooking, however, then it’s all about following simple steps and showing basic respect for the product. Here is our own recipe:
- First of all, you need to rinse off the starch with cold water. We recommend a ratio of one cup of water for every one cup of rice. Repeat the process until the water is clear.
- Next, soak the rinsed product in a pan of cold water for around eight minutes.
- Bring the pan of soaked rice to the boil, then simmer until all the water is absorbed. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover the rice either with a pan lid or (preferably) with a clean tea towel for about eight minutes.
- Remove the covering and enjoy perfectly cooked fluffiness with your favourite Asian dish.
What should I use?
Here, at Sing Kee Foods, we offer various types of rice. However, whatever you choose to buy, our cooking tips mentioned above will work perfectly. Visit our website today to view our full selection. Delivery starts from as little as £3.50, while orders over £60 are free.